I’m a Red Sox fan, but I am not a member of Red Sox Nation. I rescinded my citizenship to that institution when fans of seemingly every other sports franchise in existence started referring to themselves by the same term. Now there’s a Yankee Nation, Cardinal Nation, Tarheel Nation, Laker Nation, Steeler Nation. Even bands (KISS nation) and celebrities (Sheen Nation) have put a flag up and declared their independence. There’s so many “Nations” out there right now that another UN needs to be formed to make sure all these cults of people play nice with each other.
It’s only a matter of time before corporations start doing it. Mac Nation is inevitably going to start being used by journalists every time a new iPhone comes out to describe the legions of hopeless losers who camp outside an Apple Store for a week to be first in line for the privilege of paying $800 for a new telephone. When corporations start using a pop-culture term for their customers in attempt to sound hip, you know it’s time to shelf the word. The only thing worse than that is if politicians start doing it. If I ever hear the word Romney Nation, I’m gonna lose my shit and will definitely be going on a shooting spree.
I wonder why/when other organizations/professions will start using this word to describe their livelihood? When are people who believe in UFO's going to start calling themselves the Alienation? Would organic chemists members of a brotherhood called the carbonation? Has everyone who's ever been to a Planned Parenthood part of the condemnation? Do Jr. High Math teachers comprise a secret fraternity known as Fractionation? Are Phish phans called the Hallucination? Should the The entire human race be renamed the Personation? Do people with tarrets have a secret handshake as card carrying members of the profanation? If so, what do Drug Rehab Lab Technicians shake on fellow members of the Urination? Democrats should be called an Obamanation by everyone, not just Republicans.


No comments:
Post a Comment